Meet Tala, the couchsurfer I’m hosting. “Tala” means star in Tagalog. And yes, she’s claiming her name in every possible way. She:
- ripped apart all my curtains;
- keeps running back to her previous owner’s house every day, whenever I leave her alone;
- doesn’t like to be on a leash;
- needs to be walked so she will not do her thing inside the house;
- sleeps on my couch no matter what I do to keep her off it;
- constantly muddies my floor;
- picks up the nastiest stuffs on the road;
- wakes me up in the morning like an alarm clock.
Despite everything, I love her. I fell in love with her. She is actually very sweet. Each day, when I pick her up from her “day care center” (house of her previous owner), she greets me like she has not seen me in years. She knows many tricks now. She is multilingual! She understands English, Tagalog, Amharic, and German. Beat that.
My heart will surely break when it’s time to leave. I didn’t want to take her the first time to avoid exactly that. But, like falling in love, “it’s better to have loved and lost than not at all,” as all those wise people say.
I’m glad I didn’t prevent myself from loving her and becoming happier to avoid getting hurt in the near future.
No regrets for catching this STAR.